Building Awareness of Your Money Mindset
Raise awareness about how you and your peers think about money.
Money Mindset Steps
Assign a different color to 3 corners of the room, such as red, blue, and yellow. Write the color on a piece of paper and hang it in each corner.
Have the people start in the corner of the room that is not labeled. Read the statements below and have people go to the corner ofthe room that corresponds with the statement they agree most with.
- Which of these best describes your household during childhood?
- Save today so you can buy tomorrow (Red)
- Life is short, so go out and get it while you can (Blue)
- Earn it, so you can spend it when it counts (Yellow)
- Which of these best describes you as a child?
- I saved all the money I could (Red)
- Any money I got I would normally spend (Blue)
- I saved for big and thoughtful purchases (Yellow)
- Which quote speaks to you the most?
- “You can be young without money, but you can’t be old without it.” — T. Williams (Red)
- “The safe way to double your money is to fold it over once and put it in your pocket.” — F. Hubbard (Blue)
- “Never spend your money before you have it.” — T. Jefferson (Yellow)
Have everyone sit down and use the coaching questions to start a group discussion.
How are your thoughts around money different or the same as the people around you?
How do you think other people in your life would respond to these statements?
What surprised you? What didn’t surprise you?