“Need to Know” or “Out of Sight”
Map out where your natural tendency is when it comes to different money scenarios.
Money Mindset Steps
Individually, on a piece of paper write the following left-to-right spectrums with one statement on the far left and one statement on the far right:
- I want to see exactly how much money is in my account <-> I don’t want to look at how much is in my account
- I want to check my credit score regularly <-> I don’t want to look at my credit score
- The way I like to save money is deciding how much to save each time <-> I want it to be automatic so I don’t have to think about it
- I calculate how much money I want to spend for a given day/week/ month <-> I spend what I need and/or want to for a given day/week/ month and hope it works out alright
Individually, draw an “X” on the line to represent your naturaltendency.
Pair with another person and share your map. After a few minutesof sharing, have a larger conversation together as a group. (Usethe coaching questions to facilitate more discussion.)
- What did you take from this exercise?
- Was there anything surprising about where your “X” marks landed? Were they all in about the same place or did it vary depending on
Remind the group that where we are on the map today might be different in the future and while in one area of life we might lean more towards “out of sight out of mind” in another area we might lean towards “I want to know.”